Join our fantastic team at one of the UK’s top outdoor education centres based near Tunbridge Wells on the Kent/East Sussex border.
We are currently looking for a Head of Finance and Facilities
We are also considering freelance outdoor instructors for 2018 and trainee outdoor instructors for our 2019 Bowles Outdoor Leader Training ‘BOLT’ programme.
Head of Finance and Facilities – 3.5 to 4 days per week
Salary £40,000 – £45,000 pro rata plus pension and benefits.
(hours are flexible, we may consider full time, please detail in your application)
Qualified accountant? Looking for a lifestyle change or better work-life balance?
Join our fantastic team at one of the UK’s top outdoor education charities near Tunbridge Wells.
At Bowles we are seeking someone with excellent accounts, management and problem solving skills to look after the full accounting requirements, the payroll for over 50 staff and the facilities at our thriving charitable trust. This role is ideal for a qualified accountant looking for a lifestyle change or to work for a charity which supports the development of thousands of children and young people each year. Note: The centre and role is diverse, this is not a normal/narrow accounts role!
You will be a member of the Bowles Senior Management Team and also have responsibility for our Administration and Maintenance Teams.
It may be possible to manage this role in school hours during term time however school holiday working will be required.
For your application to be considered you must include both a CV and a covering letter detailing:
- Why you are interested in this role at Bowles
- Why you are a good fit for this role (please reference the Job Description and Person Specification below)
- Your current salary and notice period
Please apply through ‘Indeed’, or send your CV and a covering letter direct to The Bowles Rocks Trust Ltd, Sandhill Lane, Eridge Green, Tunbridge Wells, TN3 9LW.
The closing date for applications is 10th June with interviews to be held soon after.
Please note as a charity working with young people this post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring service (DBS) check, and references.
Job Description and Person Specification
Responsibility & Line Management
The Head of Finance & Facilities reports to the Director and is responsible for the full accounting requirements, and the facilities at Bowles. The Head of Finance & Facilities is also responsible for the line management of the Office Manager and the Maintenance Team, as well as being a member of the Bowles Senior Management Team (SMT).
Full Job description
The Head of Finance & Facilities, supported by a part-time Finance Assistant, is responsible for all financial matters, including:
Strategy & Budgeting
- Preparing the annual budget in consultation with the SMT and other budget holders
- Updating, maintaining and achieving the finance and facilities elements of the Business Plan
- Pricing (in consultation with the SMT)
- Attendance at monthly senior managers’ meetings
- Preparation of quarterly management accounts and Finance & Facilities Report
- Attendance at quarterly Trustees’ meetings, presentation of reports and minute taking
- Preparation of annual statutory accounts, including preparation of statements of financial activity (SOFA), balance sheet, consolidated accounts and all supporting notes.
- Liaising with external auditors during annual audit
Banking, Cash Flow and Payroll
- Managing cash flow and banking operations
- Calculation of monthly salaries, using Sage 50 payroll, including pensions and P11Ds
Other Accounts functions
- Supervision of all data entry and bank reconciliations on Sage 50 Accounts
- VAT returns, including partial exemption VAT calculation
- Credit control
- Management of bursary fund, bursary requests and quarterly restricted interest calculations
- Authorising invoices for payment
- Using contractors and the maintenance team to ensure the buildings and the fabric of the centre are kept in good repair.
- Phones and IT – with the support of the local IT provider.
- Responsible for managing, recruiting and developing the Finance Assistant and the Admin and Maintenance teams.
- IT – through the support of a local IT provider
- HR – staff contracts
- Insurance – annual renewal
We are looking for a qualified finance professional who has strong technical capabilities, excellent people management skills and solution focused problem solving skills. You will also have great soft skills including communication skills, enthusiasm and flexibility. Initiative and a good sense of humour will also be important characteristics for this exciting and influential senior team role at the centre.
Knowledge and experience of facilities management and IT is desirable but not essential.
Remuneration and Hours of work
The role is 3.5 to 4 days per week (FT may be considered); actual days worked will be by agreement with the Director and may be varied according to work or personal needs. Normal hours of work will be during weekday office hours, hours will include the occasional Saturday morning. The role has annual and monthly cycles to reflect the work of the centre.
- 25 days holiday pro-rata of the full time equivalent
- Contributory pension
- Childcare vouchers available
- Annual training allowance and course leave, in addition to annual leave
- Free lunch will be provided when working
- Free use of the centre’s facilities including indoor heated pool and open ski sessions.
The Bowles Rocks Trust Ltd is an educational charity which contributes to the educational and social development of young people through the experience of outdoor and adventurous activities. Most of our charitable clients are primary and secondary schools across the Southeast. There is also a particular emphasis on young people with disabilities and disadvantaged young people as part of the centre’s charitable provision.
Bowles has a trading subsidiary which designs and delivers management development courses for adults and recreational courses for both children and adults. The subsidiary is profit making and all profit is covenanted back to the charity. Fuller details of the structure of the centre are available in the annual accounts, which can be emailed on request or call 01892 665665.
Catering and House-Keeping General Assistant
General Assistants required for our busy catering and housekeeping department. £7.80 an hour.
Role 1: Term time role, immediate start, 8.15am to 2pm Monday to Friday, with optional additional hours available during busy periods.
Role 2: 20 hours per week, annualised contract including evenings and weekends with additional hours available during busy periods, hours allocated via a monthly rota.
Duties to include serving and assisting during meal service, vegetable preparation, laying tables, washing up, loading and unloading the dishwasher and cleaning bedrooms and bathrooms.
Please send an e-mail detailing relevant experience and contact details to Admin@bowles.rocks
Bowles offers high quality residential programmes for schools & colleges, outdoor activities for the public and Learning and Development Programmes for businesses and organisations.
Bowles is looking for established outdoor professionals who are used to working with a range of clients from both corporate and educational settings. Qualifications (SPA, D1+E, APIOL) are valuable but more importantly we are looking for educators/facilitators with a friendly personality who are reliable, flexible and have a breadth of experience. Facilitation & reviewing skills within a professional development context would be advantageous.
If you live further afield we may be able to offer accommodation for a block of work.
Please send us a covering letter and CV outlining your experience and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bowles Outdoor Leader Training
For full details on Bolt, please visit our Bowles Outdoor Leader Training (BOLT) page.